FaceBook IN, Orkut OUT...???

I still remember the day when I was asked by my cousin "Are you on Orkut..??" and I was like, "Orkut..??? What is that..??" Yeah I dont mind to admit that I was at that time really dumb about these things.. specially to this whole world of Internet and social networking. That was about some four years back... I did not even have an email ID before that. The reason for it was mainly ignorance.. I did not know that outside my world there is so much more to explore and I never even felt the need for such a medium of communication....

Then after my junior college I began to know things about Internet and orkutting and mailing etc. etc.. It was an awesome period discovering new things and finding I was finding it amazing... The whole concept of social networking fascinated me.

"Orkut" was the first social networking site I joined. I loved to create profile, fill in all the details and the DP... that is the best part about it.... I always upload cute pictures of cats, animals, babies, sometimes sayings or quotes on my profile. I loved to change them frequently.. Once in a while I upload my own pic for a few days... I always like to hear from my friends by means of scrap about how they were and what they were doing. Then there are testimonials.. I still find it the best feature of Orkut and I really love personalised testimonials, both- to write and receive.... Scrapping ,chatting, changing status messages, adding videos, discussions in forums.....I never knew when I became so much a part of this world which I dint even know once upon a time...



Then with time, I even created a profile on FaceBook but I never accessed it.. It was mainly because I did not understand the interface only. I always liked and preferred Orkut to FB... I somehow felt that FB had too much of stuff on one page.. the small font, the page divisions , the friend suggestion (I still don't understand how this feature works.. :P It suggests anyone and everyone as friends...!!) I just created a profile for kind of namesake. But since the past few months, I realise that my activity on FaceBoook has increased a lot. I log in frequently out there, check out the updates, comment on some status messages, Like links, share videos, play games, take up answering to quizzes and all such stuff which you know about more than me I guess... ;) But spare me since I am not a Mafia war player or owner of any farm or aquarium there.. ;) :P

Though I use both these sites, I have found that there has been a shift from Orkut to Facebook with regards to many of my friends and now that they are updating statuses all the time, they even have started hating Orkut and criticizing it.... I did not understand this. People there talk about Dumping Orkut and commenting about it. I came across many pages which had names like "Death of Orkut." " Orkut is for Oldies..." etc etc... and these pages had huge fan following... The trend has become like "Facebook In, Orkut out...!!!" I don't understand why people who were on Orkut full time till recently can change their opinion so quickly.I have also started finding facebook as a better option for networking but I have never disliked Orkut and I am sure I never will because it is the first social networking site I joined. It was like a window that helped me to have a look at the whole virtual world.

In the end, Orkut or Facebook does not really make a difference for me as long as I enjoy the time I spend there. Its just that sometimes when people change their opinion so suddenly and so strongly, I wonder how long would they even enjoy FaceBook...??? That time won't be far when some other popular site might pop-up(or it has already...?????) where people would criticize FaceBook..!!!!

P.S.: Really been a long while I wrote something in My Corner... So how are you all and how is this new template??? I loved this one at the first instant when I came across it...!! :)

Comments

pRasad said…
Till 2008 and even mid 09, there was huge following for Orkut..
Just like you, even I joined facebook just to "try" another social networking site but gradually I completely shifted to FB.. & now I don't like orkut mainly because on orkut you will find more than meaningful conversation strangers only scrap .. they scrap even pic ..good morning..good evening animated pic..

And on FB, you can know the person better through his activities(using WALL) , through his comments on other's posts etc...

another thing is, lots of ppl have shifted to FB , so others left with no choice..

Orkut was no doubt one of the best social networking site we had, but it has lost it's flavor now..
Gautam said…
Wow!! really love ur new layout!! :) And yes, even I did the same and moved over completely to FB but not that I hate Orkut or anything but criously haven't checked my account for last 6 mmonths!!
Jon said…
I joined Orkut when I was in college and was crazy abt it...to get meximum frnds, scraps.... Orkut Buyokokten became the role model

But I guess Orkut became too insecure and too crowded

FB had also been there at that time. Suddenly FB started innovating and marketing... I am nt much fond of it. but I guess its the 'thing' now

Orkut is doing poor copy of many add-ons from FB
Harini said…
I used to be totally hooked to orkut but now i hardly use it. I m into FB... it somehow is more interesting with applications and has better privacy settings. I hear that orkut has improved too.

Yeah, i like the new template :)
well seriously even i feel the same urv....but this switch was known coz facebook was becoming popular in india and orkut was in dev mode where they were working on bringing in new changes... but fb is cool and i use fb these days although i have orkut....how are you URV?
Firebolt said…
Well written..
It is obvious that Facebook has eaten into Orkut like anything :D

HEHEHEHEHHE
Poor Orkut, I pity it!

=P
R. Ramesh said…
joined FB recently yar...but am addicted to blog like mad..cheeers n wishes friend:)
It's a irony of life people tend to forget old stuffs when some new things arrive...this is really bad...this is life..

By the way..u have been awarded Check the blog.
binal said…
experiencing the same recently.....also ur new layout is quite cute like u!!!
Anish Patel said…
Most of the people r following trend. nothing else. Media hypes things n people followed them.
As far as I know, FB exists be4 Orkut!!!
I prefer orkut for simplicity n FB for farmville :) n likes-dislikes...
and ya, nice template...simple n sweet...
Arlee Bird said…
Never heard of Orkut, but I'm not that involved in networking sites. I do have accounts on Facebook and My Space but I rarely use them unless somebody sends me a message. I've been too busy blogging of late.

Lee
Tossing It Out
Anish Patel said…
Hey,Tagged you in my post The 10 Things....
S said…
Nicely arranged template! Love the feel!

PS - I am on Orkut since early 2006, and it could never hold me back other than replying to scraps, while Facebook is addictive! Ohh yes you know how active is my Facebook a/c! ;)
R. Ramesh said…
Happy Independence Day buddy:)
Urvashi said…
@Prasad: Hmm.. well the point u amde about getting to interact more wiith the person through his overall activity on FB is acceptable.. I do agree with thisadded advantage of FB... Rest, yeah "Orkut is not losing flavour" but "people are preferring other flavours to Orkut" is how I would look at it..

Thanks 4 ur views..TC :)

@Gautam : Thanks dear..

But 6 months... ?? I think that is a lot..!!

@Jon : Fb really did a lot of marketing and hmmm I really like the old and classic orkut more than its new and modified version.. It does seem a lot like the copy of FB add-ons and gadgets..!!!!

@Harini : You have just changed ur preference with time it seems...

Thanks.. TC :)

@Stephen : Hmm.. I know how much u use FB these days..!! :)

I am fine yaar.. Hw r u ?? TC :)

@FireBOlt : Thanks dear...!!

@ R.Ramesh : Addicted to blog.. wow, maybe I should take up this topic to write on next time.. :D

HAppy Independnece Day to U too..

@ Ganesh : Just this much to say..??? I thot there would be more to it..!!

Still, Thanks..!! TC :)

@Niraj : Hmm, its really sad and ironica lfact...

Thanks the award budy.. TC :)

@Binal : Cute...??!! Ohh thnks dear..!! :)

@Anish : Hmmm.... it seems just like the story of Pied-piper.. all people following the same tune..!!! Huh, wat else to say..!??? :D

U too liked the tempalte. .Thanks..!!

@Sourav: Thanks yaar... Its good to get really positive feedback abt the template..!!

Abt ur FB activity, yeah.. I admit I've known u more since joining u out there...!!

Keep FB-ing..!! :)
Sh@s said…
I loved the header of your blog. Its so much like you :)
Urvashi said…
@Shas : Ohh thanks yaar..!! :) :)
Mingled Minds said…
hey there...long time...me prefectly fit..wad bout u??

happy independence day firstly...

secondly, nice template... :)

thirdly, glad to c u on my blog after a long time.
.
fourthly , (okay the real comment starts frm here ;)...
i was initially on Orkut but nevermade it that much and now on FB...i feel all the same...infact i feel my level of thinking has evolved past few years...lol...
Darshan Chande said…
Well, there's a simple logic. It's okay to praise something when you like it. And it's EQUALLY okay to criticize something when you don't like it anymore.

There's nothing intrinsically good or bad. It's always relative. When Orkut was good that was because there was nothing better than that. Now a better thing has arrived then people like the better thing. That's the nature. Nothing is wrong with it.

As for criticizing, just think, what would you call that person who comes up wearing a dress of the 80s' fashion? Oldie! Right? So What's wring in calling Orkut an oldie. They are NOT upgrading to match the present level of tech development. That's true.

There's nothing wrong about loving a less-good thing. It's just irrational. And self-destructive to an extent. It hinders development of one's personal standards. Think carefully about it without involving emotions into it.

I can understand this for I have been there. This is just my view. :)

Popular posts from this blog

3 Idiots, Damini's Take (Part - 2)

For the first time...

3 Idiots, My take - (PART 1)