Criticism - As I see it......

"Well..the movie was not so good.."

"I think you could have done better.."

"That book is just a waste of time...Full of stupid incidents...!!!"

Hmm.. Just trying to collect some sentences which I keep on hearing many times around. You also keep on listening to them - these Criticisms ??? Well.... Human nature.....!! Many-a-times, when you are displeased with something or someone, we find faults with them and condemn them. If you don't want any criticisms “Do nothing, Say nothing, and Be nothing.” But being social animals, that is not possible for us....... So what is this 'Criticism' all about???

I think these days many people just know how to find faults with others even though they may be lagging in the same field. They never even give a second thought before criticising. It is really a rude thing according to me because if you are into the habit of criticising everyone at every occasion, It can create a very negative image about you. But if you genuinely feel that the act is not praiseworthy but faulty, you should go ahead and criticise as well as provide the scope for improvement. Sugar-coated criticism can also sometime be used so that the morale of the person is not affected as well as the message is conveyed.

People who criticise should only do so when they are willing to change the system actually and demanding a change of pattern. Sometimes, its just namesake criticising and when they are asked what are the improvement areas, what more do they expect...?? They cannot reciprocate as well as their criticism. So the point is when you criticise, be sure of the grounds on which you are criticising and you want improvement. If you have no will to Change it, you have no right to Criticise it.

For Eg: After a movie, some of my friends came and started all kind of blah-blah about the movie not being good. I had not been to the movie so I did not respond then. After a few days when I watched the movie, I found it good and so I asked my friends what they dint like in it and in the end after I justified all their points, they had nothing more to say than it was too long...

People don't criticise themselves, no matter how wrong they may be. It is really difficult to criticize oneself. Talking about myself, I accept criticisms when it comes from someone who has more knowledge than me on the subject and the one who criticises with a view to see an improvement. I accept it and try to work on my faults and avoid them the next time. But 'Criticisms' from people around who just want to find faults with my work without even having an insight of the efforts put by me into it are not welcome.

Criticism and Praise are two opposite things. Not just opposite but paradox terms. This is because “If you have all praises, no critics you'll likely have no success.” Human beings always crave for praises and not criticisms. Its easier to accept praises rather than criticism but when it comes to giving - What do they find more easy.... To Praise or Criticise?????? Well you can see for yourself.




Comments

neha said…
i always like the way u write about minute things in life..

yes i do agree unhealthy criticisms r bad esp whn has no knowledge abt ithe given thing..

:)
Darshan Chande said…
"If you don't want any criticisms 'Do nothing, Say nothing, and Be nothing.'" This is very well said, whoever has said that.

Telling my personal experience, today whatever I am, however far and deep I can think, I am more developed by criticisms than praises.

When someone criticizes you it does not always mean that the person is trying to belittle you. Different people may think differently, and sometimes when someone put a view which is different from our own than we take it as a criticism.

But even then you should take it as an opportunity to stronger your side. Re-think the thing. If you realize that something was wrong then of course you got a chance to correct yourself. And even if you don't find any flaw then too you will feel strengthened to validate your points once it is re-thought and confirmed to be right.

I find criticism is always win-win for me.
Unknown said…
The last paragraph sums up your post really well and I agree with the last comment that constructive criticism always helps. Its only with people who are used to criticising left,right and center that it becomes a nuisance!
Btw I loved all ur posts :)
Anoop said…
this is not good at all...
the way u said is too rude for the readers...i dint like it at all. very very bad...

khe khe khe....
i liked this... i was jus tryin to pull ur legs... ;)
good post...Urvashi. :)
Cool post.

Criticism just for the heck of it is bad like u pointed out but constructive criticism helps a lot in developing the personality :)
Sunil Balani said…
I agree it is not enough to find faults, what is important that we try to remove the faults. Personal criticism should always be avoided as everyone acts according to once set of values and judgment. However people should stand up against wrongs in social and public life not only in words but also in deeds. If we keep turning face and don’t raise our voice against a wrong I think we become party to corruption. In any case, like Frank A. Clark said “Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots”.

Regards
Karthik said…
Rightly said! I agree with you. Criticisms are good for us only when it comes from those who are better than we (or equal to us). On the contrary, we can't really neglect them no matter where they are coming from (sometimes). Take the example of a movie (as you said); we, the audience, may not be knowing much about film making, and all we expect is a good show. If the majority of us don't like a particular movie, the film maker has to introspect. Even though we don't belong to film fraternity, the film maker takes our reviews seriously. Then again, he can't satisfy everybody, for everybody comes from a different background, and carries with him his own emotional baggage. So ultimately we just have to enjoy the DOING without worrying much about its ramifications.
When it comes to me, i don't criticize negatively, even if i find some major flaws (this doesn't apply to my closest friends, and i will be very blunt with them), but i do sugar coat it like you said. And when somebody criticizes me mercilessly (say, on my blog), i definitely consider them seriously. i don't mind at all (with some reservations, of course, as explained above).
Well, it was a wonderful post. I liked the way you've expressed very much. Keep writing! :-)
i agree.. its always good to have criticism, but actualy, true, meaningful, helpful criticism. not just some yapping from some frustrated people who cant do that thing themselves that they criticise others who do it. well, nice post. keep it up
Urvashi said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Urvashi said…
@ Neha: Thanks dear. Thts wat I wanted to highlight.. Criticism can lead to success - bt not unhealhty criticisms... :)

@ Darshan : Its great to know about your attitude towards Criticism. A win-win game for u.... :) The effect of Criticism depends upon the attitude towards whom it is directed. Even if the criticiser has good intentions bt the person takes it wrongly n doesnt think (or rethink)... there is no use.....!!! This is wat I consider while criticising someone too ... Whehter the person would make an attempt to understand my point or no.....!!

@Gautam: Yeah...For some ppl, Criticisng is like a habit they hv developed through the years.......n they dont even want to chng it......!! Tht is rly Nuisance....

Thanks for visiting n going thru my posts.. Ur blog is lovely too... spent a lot of time there.. . :D Cyaa....

@ Anoop: Thank u.....So u r the first one to criticise me here...Well I thot u were really serious wen I read ur first few words......... ! :D

@ Aditya: Thanks....Completely agree with you...!!

@ Sunil: Yeah..its a high time that people who criticise even go beyond words..turn them into actions n make the changes. Thanks for the
quote...Exactly sums up wat I wanted to convey...... TC :)

@ Karthik: Thanks for ur point. When it comes to friends, "Your Best Friend is your Best Critic." A true frnd doesnt mind criticising u wen u r wrong.. He always corrects you.. May be not in public....Sometimes he may support u wen u need it- wen others criticise u.. but later on he will definitely let u know ur faults.

@ Dr. Chandana: Thnks... Rite... Eevn I like Criticism.. bt helpful ones....!!

Cyaa :)
Ganesh_Dalal said…
well written, some people always criticize and don't even wanna change.. so am I, kya kare I m a VIRGO, born critic..
You hav put all ur points very nicely and clearly, but mixed the flow...
Urvashi said…
@Ganesh: May be the flow could have been better..

Thanks Mr. Born Critic ;)

Popular posts from this blog

3 Idiots, Damini's Take (Part - 2)

Johny Johny Reloaded..!!!

3 Idiots, My take - (PART 1)